The best way to support Adulting.tv is to subscribe and leave us an honest review. Thank you!
One of the common themes of the college experience is the internship. So often, it’s required to graduate. And, even if it’s not, many people feel like an internship is necessary in order to get practical work experience.
But just because an internship is necessary, it doesn’t mean that it’s actually useful. In recent years, controversy has surrounded unpaid internships, thanks to some shady practices by some companies.
Before you decide to go for an internship — especially one that’s unpaid — listen to this week’s episode.
- Advantages of some internships.
- How to make good connections with an internship.
- Drawbacks to internships.
- The problems with unpaid internships.
- How to make the most of your experience, even if the situation isn’t ideal.
- A look at the federal guidelines governing internships.
- Tips for managing an unpaid internship when you really can’t afford it.
This week, DO NOWs are about deciding whether or not an internship is worth it, and then taking steps to get the best possible position.
This week’s listener question deals with weighing the pros and cons of different types of internships. When does it make sense to take an unpaid internship over one that’s paid?
Become a Friend of Adulting
To get Adulting delivered directly to your device, subscribe using iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or your app of choice.
Join the Friends of Adulting! Please leave an honest review on iTunes. We would really appreciate the feedback!